Friday, May 8, 2009

Those were the days...

So I was sitting at work today contemplating the ways of life, arguing with one of my bosses about the amount of water a camel can drink and talking diseases with the other one (you know a normals days worth of work) when it dawned on me... in 8 days (depending on when you read this) I will be 25. Now for my fellow blog followers I wrote an entry last birthday about how I was beginning my quarter-life crisis one year too soon when I splurged and bought a new car. Now that the date is really approaching (May 17th to be exact... all presents are welcome) I'm realizing how I am one step away from having the actual Quarter-life crisis mini melt down. Now is the time to start planning my retirement and becoming a regular at BINGO night. I'll look into buying my cane and start shopping for perfumes by Elizabeth Arden or Elizabeth Taylor that screams old woman. I'll revert back to the roller vacuum that is practically useless, purchase a rocking chair that I can use to sit on the porch and wave to the neighbors. I'll tell stories about the days in school when chalkboards were all we had and whiteboards were a rarity. Friends of mine will join along in the discussion how gas used to be .95 cents a gallon and the cool shows to watch were KIDS Incorporated, Saved by the Bell, Duck Tales and Rescue Rangers. Such things as Nintendo DS and Wii's weren't around. Every child was familiar with the music from Super Mario Bros played on the original Nintendo. Riding bikes and playing make believe was an everyday occurrence. Lunches at school were always phrased in a similar manner "Are you having Hot or Cold lunch today?" For me, it was always cold lunch and if I was really lucky I would get a snackpack or dunkaroos in my bag for dessert. Recess at the time seemed like it lasted for hours, where in actuality it wasn't more then 15 minutes. Nothing mattered back then. The biggest concerns I had as a child was whether or not I was going to get time to play with my friends after school.

Awe yes... those were the days...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh and I am so blessed to be part of those days! How can I could I forget about Hot and Cold lunch? I always wanted the hot lunch, but really why? Did I want to come home from sickness everday? Its probably a good thing that I had a cold lunch. Haha! Oh but all the good times of playing and playing and playing. How I couldn't wait to get outside and play our hours and hours of making up stuff. Those definetly were the days!

Adam and Shari Crawford said...

I LOVED every one of your memories! I seriously related with each one of them and I have frequently wondered why recess DID seem so long..... Really, 15 min. is nothing now! And Cold lunch happened SO much for us kids, that all of us struggle with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches ;)