Monday, May 5, 2008

Sand Dunes!

There is something exciting about the wind in your hair, the sand in your teeth and the white knuckle grip on either the 4-wheeler or the person driving the 4-wheeler! I got to experience a trip down the Dunes a couple of weeks ago and I will tell you what... there isn't anything more exhilerating then seeing the MOUNTAINS OF SAND! I was facinated watching the different motobikes race to the top of a straight climb. What was even more exciting is riding on the back of a 4-wheeler and feeling like at any moment you are going to just fly off the back. Entering into the Sand Dunes a sign is posted "1 number of days since the last serious accident" Two days before I went, a man was life flighted out of there. The same day I was there flight for life visited the Dunes again. (Don't worry it wasn't anyone in our group)

Well don't worry... whenever there is a 4-wheeler and Jennie, you get an accident. Coming down from the mountainous peaks above... clinging tightly to the back of my friend a sudden turn sent my feet flying off the pedals and the intial reaction is to put your leg down. Well with the tire right there... sometimes thats not the best idea. My leg got caught under the tire and I flew off. Luckily we weren't going too fast and I was positioned in a way where my leg didn't break. However when my friend stopped my leg was under the tire of the 4-wheeler. YIKES! My friends were shocked my leg didn't break.

Following this... I was driving my 4-wheeler following a few more experienced friends of mine on their bikes. As they climbed a steep hill and glided smoothly over it I assumed I could do it as well. As I climbed the hill and realized I didn't know what lied on the other side I released the gas and my 4-wheeler stopped half way up the hill. My friends were already far ahead of me so I had to climb to the top of the hill so they would be able to find me when they realized I was gone. Climbing loose loose sand in 80 degree weather... I felt like it was the Sahara desert.

Over all the trip was a blast... I hyperextended my leg... have massive bruises on both legs, but can't wait to do it again!
Posted is a glimpse of what the sand dunes is like...

4 comments:

Ash said...

I'm constructing the visual...you crawling up the hill, exaggerating every movement, spitting out sand and then your look of helplessness as you realize that they had left you to DIE. I'm gonna hold on to that image forever.

Ally Girl said...

Oh Jennie! How we are so much alike. I remember when I went to these same Sand Dunes, and I was one of those accidents that happened. I have the same thing, Me + 4 wheeler = hospital. The time I went, I decided that I was good enough after riding a 4 wheeler for the first time to go fast on my own. Well, I was on a trail doing awesome when all of a sudden I hit an a bump that is supposed to be followed by a turn. Well, I didn't turn and ended up crashing into the handlebars. Somehow I cut my chin and my hip on the same handlebars. How? I don't know. Well long story short. I got rushed to the hospital where I got stitches in my chin and my hip, well more like my pelvic region. I was on crutches.....for like a day, I couldn't stand those things! Well, anywho now I have a lovely scar on my chin and my hip every now and again has to be popped back into place. Aren't the Sand Dunes great? LOL!

Ally Girl said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Are you getting sick of these yet? LOL!

Douglas Quist said...

Jennie, Where have you been all my life?! Let be friends again and see if it evolves into something more...