Sunday, January 9, 2011

I said Yes!

So I know its been awhile... ok a LONG while and for those of you who follow my life through Facebook know that things are constantly updating and changing! I'm sorry for those of you who are avid blog followers and the lack of interest I have been putting towards this... but I think you will forgive me after the story(ies) i'll be sharing. So lets get to it...

I promise that I didn't get engaged after dating someone for a little over a month (which may be what some Facebook fans are thinking since I changed my dating status the begging of Dec that I was actually in a relationship). David and I met back in the beginning of June. I was dating someone at the time and David lived in California. We met through an acquaintance at a conference that was being held for our church in California. He found me on Facebook and we started chatting but like I said, (and he will confirm it) I sort of blew him off in the beginning because i was dating someone. I told him that I was definitely up for being friends but just didn't see anything else coming from it. We continued to chat through the month of June- by phone and text messaging. The relationship I was in fizzled and David and I continued to talk more and more. By the middle of August we were talking to each other at least 3 times a day. We had grown so close to one another simply by communication. To be completely honest we didn't have anything more than just the phone. For anyone who had done a long distance relationship can attest to the challenge it is. He flew out to Colorado the beginning of November where he met my family and told me he loved me. :) This is the start of the monthly traveling back and forth... I flew out to California the first week in December and had a wonderful time meeting some of his family and closest friends. We both were bummed that we weren't going to get to spend Christmas together but we had plans for him to fly out the second week in January and were just going to suffer through. Little did I know that he and my family had been conspiring to get him out here Christmas morning. We were at my sister Mandy's house opening gifts when all of sudden he came in and sat down- it took me several minutes to register he was there but once I did I screamed out of pure excitement. We had a great time together and I was pretty sad to see him go but knew it would be just a couple of weeks until I got to see him again. Fast forward to yesterday: David and I had planned to head up to Blackhawk (a town in the mountains) and spend the day up there. We had dinner plans in Denver with my sister and brother-in-law at 7:30 so we were planning things out to the very minute. David told me he had a surprise for me- an auction he had one online and found out the day before he won but it would expire before he got back out here again (I'm flying to Cali in Feb) so we needed to use it before he left. Saturday was our only day... we decided we would leave Blackhawk about an hour earlier than planned and spend an hour at this "surprise location" We had a great time in Blackhawk and we took off around 5pm. I was driving and following my GPS to get us back into town, as we were driving I was noticing signs of cities that didn't look familiar. I kept checking the GPS and it kept reassuring me I was headed in the right direction- back to Denver. 45 minutes later I realized we were driving completely in the wrong direction. I was pretty upset because I knew we were on a tight schedule. We quickly turned around and started heading in the right direction, only to run into stopped traffic due to an accident. I started to get really upset because not only were we not going to get to this "surprise" location, there was a chance we were going to miss dinner. David was really looking forward to the restaurant we were going to eat at (Elway's) and my sister had gone out of her way to get us reservations. Needless to say I was a brat for about 30 minutes of sitting in traffic. I was frustrated at myself, the GPS and David (which wasn't necessary). All of a sudden I get a call from my sister saying the restaurant called and had to move our reservation back to 8:30pm. Traffic started to move and it looked like we were going to make it to the "surprise" location. David and I switched seats and he had me put a blindfold on. He drove us to the "mystery" location and took my blindfold off. We were standing on the driveway of the home that I grew up in. You see, I lived in the same house from the time I was 6 until I was 21. The home held more memories than any other place in my life. My parents sold it when I turned 21 and moved into a different house. The first time David came out here I took him to the house (which was up for sale). I wanted to walk him through but all the doors were locked. When he took the blindfold off I was confused at why we were here. He told me how he wanted to see the inside, made a few calls to the relators (which was A LOT of work) and was able to get a time where we could come walk through it. He wanted to hear all the stories that had happened in this home and he wanted me to show him around. Remember it was 7:45pm- it was dark inside but the stairs were lined with candlelight, roses were sitting at the bottom of the stairs. We walked up the stairs and in my bedroom it was decorated with a stream of lights, two glasses with Martinellis, cut out hearts all over the floor. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. Now I was completely oblivious as to what was happening. He does sweet things for me all the time so when he told me that he just wanted to hear the stories about the house I totally believe him. We knew were short for time so I actually started to clean things up. I was down on the ground picking up the hearts and he was telling me about a conversation he had with my sister the other day. He leaned down and grabbed my hand and pulled me up. Here we were standing in my old bedroom, with it completely decorated and him telling me some of the most sweetest things I've ever heard. He finally said, "That is why I hope you will say yes to the question, no that is why I'm begging and pleading you will say yes". He got down on one knee and pulled out the ring and asked if I would marry him. Of course I said yes. Long story short we cleaned everything up, drove to the restaurant where not only was my sister and brother-in-law there but the ENTIRE family. Of course everything was planned... the changing of the reservation, everything.

Needless to say, I'm in utter bliss right now! We haven't picked a date yet but tentatively thinking sometime in April or May. He is such a good man and I'm so blessed! I love him and cannot wait to be Mrs Jennie Trevino. I'll post a picture of the ring as soon as I can... those of you on FB have seen it.


Adam and Shari Crawford said...

Tears, lady. Tears. What a GREAT story! I love all of it and I REALLY hope we get to see you both soon :)

heather said...

Thats AWESOME!! I am all teary eyed! SOO happy for you. He is GOOD! wishing you and your honey MANY years of happiness!!!